Senin, 14 Mei 2018

Sponsored Links

Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - Luxury Hotels in Edinburgh
src: waldorfastoria3.hilton.com

Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, is a hotel in Edinburgh, Scotland. Opened in December 1903, it is an example of a British grand railway hotel, formerly called The Caledonian Hotel, and nicknamed 'The Caley'.

It stands at the west end of Princes Street, and is a category A listed building.


Video Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian



Construction

The Caledonian Hotel, constructed from 1899 to 1903, was part of the Caledonian Railway's Edinburgh Princes Street railway station. It was a rival to the North British Railway's North British Hotel which opened at the other end of Princes Street in 1902. The hotel was built on top of the stone built, V-shaped station building which had been recently built as a replacement for the previous wood-built station which was damaged in a fire in June 1890. The architects of the hotel were John More Dick Peddie and George Washington Browne.

When first built, the hotel had 205 rooms with decor in the style of Louis XV. The grand arches at the front of the hotel also provided access to the railway station below. The red sandstone facade has been a city landmark throughout the hotel's history.

In 1965, Princes Street Station was closed and it was demolished by 1970. This provided room for expansion for the hotel and the cast iron gates at the entrance to a car park in Rutland Street are the only remainder of the station outwith the hotel. The original station clock, pre-dating the fire of 1890, has been preserved in the hotel.


Maps Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian



Refurbishment

The Caledonian was purchased by the Hilton hotel chain in 2000. A £24 million refurbishment in 2011 put the hotel within the luxury flagship Waldorf Astoria brand. By the time of the refurbishment the hotel had 241 rooms. The refurbishment plans included the addition and improvement of the public spaces, rooms, spa and restaurant. The original station concourse and ticket office were roofed over to provide a bar and lounge area, named Peacock Alley, which incorporates the station clock.

The hotel's restaurant is named The Pompadour. It provides French-influenced dishes and is overseen by double Michelin star chefs Chris and Jeff Galvin.

The bar, known as the Caley Bar, is venue 50 at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe.



Hotel-R | Best Hotel Deal Site
src: www.hotel-r.net


See also

  • British Transport Hotels

Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh â€
src: www.hhonorsglobalmediacenter.com


References

Source of the article : Wikipedia

Comments
0 Comments