The Bancroft Hotel is a historic hotel building which is now an apartment complex at 50 Franklin Street in Worcester, Massachusetts. According to permits, the building's common areas underwent a renovation in 2016 (2016) (work out area, core baths, lobby offices, rental office, gym, first floor).
Video Bancroft Hotel
The Bancroft Hotel was built by Niagara Falls businessman Frank A. Dudley and operated by the United Hotels Company. It was designed by Buffalo, New York architects Esenwein & Johnson in the Beaux Arts style and was completed in 1912 at a cost of over $1.2 million (equivalent to $30,430,000 in 2017).
The hotel was named for historian and politician George Bancroft. The nine story building has a steel frame, which is faced in brick trimmed with terracotta. In 1925 it was expanded in size by about 1/3 along Portland Street. Built at the height of Worcester's prosperity, it was one of the city's most opulent hotels.
The Bancroft hosted a women's tea in April of John F. Kennedy's 1952 senatorial campaign against Henry Cabot Lodge Jr. (who was also there that day). It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1980 and is currently tied as the 11th tallest building in Worcester. The building was operated as a hotel until 1964.
Maps Bancroft Hotel
- National Register of Historic Places listings in northwestern Worcester, Massachusetts
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Worcester County, Massachusetts
Source of the article : Wikipedia